2017-2018 Chicago Urban League Scholarship
Chicago Urban League scholarships are available to any person pursuing an undergraduate degree at an institution of higher learning to provide financial assistance for college. Scholarships are awarded up to $5,000. Applications are due by March 24, 2017.
Chicago Urban League President and CEO Shari Runner, is pleased to announce the opportunity for students to apply for a scholarship to support achievement of their post-secondary educational goals.
For 100 years, the Chicago Urban League has been at the forefront of creating opportunities for African Americans to empower themselves and their communities. We are motivated by a vision that a strong African American community makes a better Chicago. Our Center for Student Development opens the doors of opportunity by giving students at the middle school, high school and college levels the skills, resources and confidence necessary to compete academically. The CUL Scholarship Program includes awards funded by various donors in order to support students needing financial assistance to begin, continue or complete their post-secondary education.
Who is eligible?
To qualify for a Chicago Urban League scholarship, you must:
- Possess a minimum cumulative GPA of 2.5 (on a 4.0 scale)
- Meet student status requirements for specific awards:
- Be enrolled as a full-time, undergraduate student in a degree-granting program or
- Expect to graduate this year from high school and enroll in a full-time undergraduate degree granting program or
- Completing a two-year college program and expecting to enroll in a degree-granting program at a four-year institution
- Demonstrate financial need
How are awardees selected?
What is the application process?
To be considered for a Chicago Urban League scholarship award, you must provide the following items:
- Completed scholarship application
- One Picture
- One typed essay
- One letter of recommendation (school counselor/teacher)
- One letter of recommendation (non-family)
- Official transcript of grades (most recent high school transcript for seniors or college transcript for post-secondary students) sent directly to CUL by the school
- Student Aid Report (SAR)
- Proof of financial status/income (most recent tax returns or documentation of SSI, public aid or unemployment)
- Proof of current enrollment or acceptance in a college/university
What is the application and selection timeline?
The following are key dates for the Chicago Urban League Scholarship Program:
March 24, 2017:
Deadline for all application materials
May 5, 2017:
Completion of application pre-review by Scholarship Program Committee and notification of interviewees and non-interviewees
May 24, 2017:
June 16, 2017:
August 7, 2017:
How will I be notified about whether or not I am selected to receive an award?
All applicants who are interviewed will be notified about the Chicago Urban League’s decision regarding a scholarship award in writing no later than June 16, 2017.
Note: Salaried employees of the Chicago Urban League, CUL scholarship sponsors and members of the immediate family of any such persons are not eligible to apply to the program. The term “immediate family” includes spouses, siblings, parents, children, grandparents, grandchildren, and “in-laws,” by current or past marriage(s), remarriage(s), adoption, co-habitation or other family extension.
Please contact Danielle S. Parker, Director of the Center for Student Development at 773-451-3573 or firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any questions or if you would like to be added to our scholarship mailing list.