Chicago Urban League
The Chicago Urban League works for economic, educational and social progress for African Americans and promotes strong, sustainable communities through advocacy, collaboration and innovation. The organization is an affiliate of the National Urban League, the nation’s oldest and largest community-based movement devoted to empowering African Americans to enter the economic and social mainstream. Founded in 1916 by an interracial group of community leaders, the Urban League was formed to help rural African Americans migrating from the south adjust to northern urban living. As one of the major civil rights organizations in Chicago, and one of the 98 affiliates of the National Urban League, the CUL is committed to supporting and advocating for economic, educational, and social equality for African Americans.
EXECUTIVE ASSISTANT TO THE PRESIDENT AND CEO
POSITION DESCRIPTION: Executive Assistant to the President and CEO, Full-Time, Exempt
Reporting to the President and CEO, this highly visible role provides executive level administrative and project support to the President and CEO. This role encompasses a broad variety of duties including coordinating travel and meeting arrangements, managing calendars, coordinating board activities, managing expenses, reporting and analysis, developing presentations and assisting in the coordination of a variety of internal and external activities. Professionalism and confidentiality are required at all times.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Heavy calendar management to coordinate a variety of complex meetings that include but are not limited to Board Meetings, internal staff meetings and meetings with business partners.
- Functions as gatekeeper and keeps the President and CEO on track.
- Functions as Board liaison and records and transcribes minutes for the Board of Directors and Board Committee meetings.
- Answers and screens CEO telephone calls and directs calls promptly and efficiently; arranges conference calls; greets scheduled visitors and directs to appropriate area or person.
- Manages and maintains CEO’s schedules, appointments and travel arrangements.
- Communicates and handles incoming and outgoing electronic communications on behalf of the CEO.
- Interacts with the CEO’s direct reports, other staff and Board members to provide and collect information and reports.
- Composes and makes copies of correspondence or other printed materials.
- Prepares and distributes faxes, fact sheets, news releases, photographs or scripts to media representatives and other persons who may be interested in learning about or publicizing the organization’s activities or services.
- Reviews operating practices and procedures to determine whether improvements can be made in areas such as workflow, reporting procedures or expenditures.
- Performs other duties/special projects as assigned.
This job has no supervisory responsibilities.
To perform the job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
EDUCATION AND PROFESSIONAL REQUIREMENTS:
This position requires:
- A bachelor’s degree or a minimum of 5-7 years of related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience
- Experience supporting “C” suite level is a must.
- Technical proficiency in MS Word, Excel, Power Point and Outlook
- Experience in creating and coordinating email blasts
- Internet savvy
- Exceptional time management and organizational skills
- Accountability for work and have a high level of professional and personal integrity
- Excellent interpersonal and verbal communications skills
- Trustworthiness with knowledge of confidential organizational, foundation and donor information
- Ability to organize and prioritize multiple, competing tasks