Chicago Urban League 2011 Accomplishment Highlights
- Awarded $45,500 in scholarships and grants to 24 deserving students
- The National Urban League Incentives To Excel & Succeed (NULITES) program served 90 students in the 6th through 8th grades
- More than 200 attended the Youth Hearing: Education, Jobs and Justice where students had the opportunity to express their concerns to elected officials pertaining to summer employment and education.
- The Youth Investors Entrepreneurship Project (YIEP) successes included:
- 52 students, representing six partner-high schools successfully completed the 12-week YIEP after-school program and prepared usable business plans.
- Provided entrepreneurship education to over 1,000 emerging entrepreneurs
- Graduated the third class of 12 highly successful Chicago Contractor Development (CCD) Program, which resulted in over $20 million dollars in new contracts being awarded to participants and $2 million in new bonding capacity
- In partnership with the Kellogg School of Management, our 2011 nextONE program graduated 11 companies, who, along with 46 alumni grew their businesses in a tough economy:
- We assisted nextONE graduates in improving business development and profitability
- nextONE firms exceeded previous 12 months revenue during the 9 month program
- Over $1 million in financing was secured by nextONE companies
- nextLEVEL in classes in entrepreneurial education program with Loyola University was launched and 12 small businesses graduated. All companies reported the information and education they received has help them improve their business strategy and profitability.
- More than 1,200 individuals received housing counseling from the Chicago Urban League's Housing Department
- More than 260 people attended first time homebuyer seminars and nearly 50 purchased new homes
- More than 800 individuals received mortgage delinquency counseling
- More than 41 clients received rental assistance
Human Capital Development
- The African American Male Adolescent Initiative served 75 adolescents
- 90% of program participants improved school attendance
- 85% of program participants improved academic performance
- The Urban Youth Connection served 100 males aged 14-21 who were identified by Chicago Public Schools as high risk for perpetration of, or victimization by violence. The high touch mentoring program increased school attendance, reduced disciplinary actions, and engaged parents and guardians in their childrens schools.
- The Male Involvement Program served more than 300 men, providing social support services, academic assistance, fatherhood mentorships, and employment counseling
- 100% of participants made a commitment to child support
- 90% of participants improved relationships with their partners and children through increased contact and execution of newly learned parenting skills
- 80 participants completed Chicago Urban League's employment readiness curriculum
The multimedia department has established a digital media strategy that includes award-winning TV programming, a comprehensive social media community with the potential to reach a vast, connected audience that will support and take advantage of the services that the Chicago Urban League offers.
Policy & Research
- Emerged as leading education policy voice, providing community outreach and research on the League’s lawsuit challenging the state’s public school funding system
- Published numerous op-ed and opinion pieces addressing education and economic issues
Workforce Development and Diversity
- Provided employment search assistance and training to nearly 2000 individuals through our Success Strategies Work Readiness Workshops, Basic Microsoft Computer Skills training, and usage of the Resource Lab at our Englewood location that provides computer, Internet, fax, and telephone usage to contact employers.
- Through the Next Wealth program more than 300 adult participants received financial education. The program topics included: basic banking, credit repair/management, retirement planning, and insurance.
- 600 clients have received specialized training for placement in jobs
- 200 clients who worked with our one on one employment coaches were placed in unsubsidized jobs.
- 129 youth will gain summer employment experience through our participation in Youth Ready Chicago
- 55 individuals completed training in Chicago Urban Leagues Commercial Driver's License Permit Program and 30 were placed in the Transportation Industry